Saturday 7 January 2012

Less hand-holding, more support in 2012

In my last post I discussed some of the influences on my decisions regarding the use of a tripod. I acknowledged that my camera support choices, whilst perhaps understandable, were challengeable. In this spirit I've entered the New Year determined to change my photography working habits in such a way as to facilitate my use of a tripod. A starting point will be procuring a more ergonomic tripod to increase the efficiency and attractiveness of using one in difficult conditions. I'll fund this by selling some equipment so heavy it never leaves base. Better to optimise my outdoor photography than the infrequent indoor work I do.

In the spirit of my resolve, I'm establishing a virtuous habit by carrying for the time being a 1980s lightweight Culman tripod. Its legs are of similar gauge to those of a full-height tripod, yet are long enough to support the camera at no more than 70cm, thus achieving reasonable stability with light weight, albeit at cost to operating comfort. The small but quite nicely engineered ball head was supplied with the tripod and similarly does the job without ergonomic refinement.

As expected, I enjoyed the first mini-session of a new photographic era for me when a tripod will move to the core of my outdoor kit. Here is the result of 30 minutes in Williamson Park, Lancaster - the same image, in two versions. Thank you for looking.


Artfully created waterfall in Williamson Park, Lancaster, UK. The cliff is a disused quarry face, and the water is circulated by pump. I enjoy the effect, though, which adds to the mountain atmosphere of the park. 
Canon EOS 5D MkII, Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro, 1.6sec, f16, mirror lock, tripod. 


Monochrome conversion in Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP)

1 comment:

  1. Great photo of this feature, Richard. Could you also take some to show the orange lichen on the rocks to the right of the waterfall?
    :-) @carpediemgarden

    ReplyDelete