Monday 14 November 2011

The art of active listening: Back Room SAM designs a new logo

Whilst investing much energy in the infrastructure for our household provisioning, I'd not forgotten Proud to Ride Classic. I commissioned Sarah Thornton of Back Room SAM to design a logo for my business, replacing my stopgap photo of a red Harry Hall racing cycle. Sarah's approach is purposeful: she listens, checks understanding, and focuses on the agreed outcomes like a greyhound racing for the finish line. This is how I like to work too, so our collaboration was efficient and harmonious. Starting from my freshly taken photograph of the iconic bike


she used her computer graphics knowledge to simplify and stylise the image according to my brief. After discussing refinements to her mock-ups, she soon presented the finished logo.

In my therapeutic and teaching work I appreciated the principles of SMART goal setting, according to which goals should be

  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Agreed
  • Realistic
  • Time-boundaried

It's exhilarating to work with someone who instinctively applies these principles to a project. Here's the result, of which I'm very proud. Thank you, Sarah!

No comments:

Post a Comment