Wednesday 16 November 2011

Classic tandems, anyone?

I've had an unusual day, visiting the Fylde coast by the estuary of the River Wyre, mainly to view two tandems for possible refurbishment and resale. I want to gauge interest before committing to this relatively heavy investment, so I'm not yet in possession of them and have no photos. Anyway, my original plan to ride one of them back to base was somewhat undermined by the realisation that it lacks wheels. Nonetheless, it would be wonderful to see these two beautiful machines back on the road. So I'd really appreciate any advance expressions of interest to encourage me to take the plunge. The details are:

Tandem (1): Claud Butler 531, circa 1952, 21" + 21", short wheelbase. White, chrome ends, one professional re-enamelling with addition of cantilever bosses and braze-on front derailleur. Paint generally in good condition, but needs attention near seat bolt. Takes 650 (26") narrow-tyred (road, not off-road) wheels. TA double chainset, Campagnolo rear derailleur.

Tandem (2): Thorn, 21" + childback. No further details available, but looked in good condition behind other items.

*** Expressions of interest, please! ***

Whilst in the Fylde I also took the opportunity to savour the wide skies and pancake-flat landscape, so different from my favoured hill country, but reminiscent of my late childhood cycling forays along the dike-fringed East Friesian coast of North Germany. Here is a mini-portfoliio of the day.










No comments:

Post a Comment