Tuesday 22 November 2011

People power: the best publicity

As an occupational therapist I believe in lifelong learning - the idea that knowledge never stands still, so we can never rest from updating it. My new focus on older things doesn't change that underlying attitude. Hardly a day goes by without my discovering something about the design and engineering of classic bicycles. But I learn still more about running a business - a new experience for me after half a lifetime of employment. And the most exciting learning connects clearly with the person-centredness of occupational therapy: it's about how my business interacts with people. I've tried advertising in a periodical to no avail. I've increasingly used social networking, to somewhat greater effect. But the big breakthrough came when I started riding an example of my product - a red Harry Hall road bike - to places where cyclists gather.


The fascination of the tangible object and the agreeable conversations that ensued have led to worthwhile transactions and a positive presence for Proud to Ride Classic, building good will on the timeless foundation of face-to-face communication. Technology is probably indispensable, but I've learned that even buying and selling bicycles is essentially a person-centred business.

1 comment:

  1. This makes the point more fully:
    http://www.linkedin.com/news?actionBar&articleID=975525258&ids=0Me3cSdP4PdPAIcPcTcPkPdPsVb3wRczkOdjkTeiMOc30Qc34TdPAId3wUc3oQdjsV&aag=true&freq=weekly&trk=eml-tod2-b-ttl-2&ut=2HGp_ud769H501

    ReplyDelete